Hyper-V network becomes unavailable after backup

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Moderators: casey.burns, RobertoPuglielli, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

Hyper-V network becomes unavailable after backup

Postby Ouroffice » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Goodday,

We have a windows 2012 R2 64 bit standaard server with backupassist version 8.3.0.0026

Our backup is as follows:
System protection
It backups all our VMs + exchange 2013/domain
We have a total of 7 virtual machines all are 2012 R2 x64 standard except for one linux monitoring VM
For each day we have a separate schedule that backups the entire system in data containers on our NAS (QNAP), these start around 10:00pm and finishes around 1:30-2:00 am (on average, sometimes it takes 6 hours to complete)

Now the backup completes successfully, sometimes a data container is full but we remedy this.
In the past 1-2 years we back-upped without any real issues, except for one that sometimes (used to be like once a month) pops up/happens.
The issue is that after a backup it seems like the virtual network/nics are (for a lack of a better word) overworked/cached/turned off.

This results into that some of our VM's or all our VM's dont have a "network" connection/lost connection.
To remedy this issue we manually disable and re-enabled the physical network cards and virtual network cards on the Host server.
Then the VM becomes available again on the network.

Now as stated before this only happend once in a while and not often so we just did it manually,
but since the start of this week (no updates have been done in the last 1 month) it happens every-time/night.

Currently i restarted the Backupassist services to try and remedy this, but i will have to wait until tonight to see if this had any effect.

Now normally i would look up in my Event logs in windows and backup assist, but these don't seem to record any error or issue not in informational/warnings/errors and not in system or application logs.
Everything seems fine apart from my machines no longer being available in the network.
Also no VSS errors or warnings.

So currently im kinda at a loss of what to do but the following things i have tried to remedy the situation.

Observation: while the backup is running it can already happen that one VM is no longer available trough the network, i have to wait for the backup to complete before i can re-enabled the NIC
Troubleshooting:
Restart NAS
Restarted VM's
Restarted backup assist services
Remade backup tasks
Made a new location for the backups to be saved

Things i could still do:
Restart Host machine

I would like to troubleshoot more of fix this issue, but without any errors i don't really know where to start.
I was however looking in backup assist settings if there is an option to only let the backup, backup to the nas trough 1 specific NIC but could not find a option like that.

So any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Boy
Ouroffice.nl
Ouroffice
User

Re: Hyper-V network becomes unavailable after backup

Postby Ouroffice » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 pm

I would like to add, if i dont let a backup run.

Everything just stays online without issues, but obviously i need the backups :)
Ouroffice
User

Postby Ouroffice » Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Currently i'm testing disabling "VMQ" on my virtual/normal nics and on my VM network settings.

I've now had one day that it seems to not turn off my network access.
Ouroffice
User

Postby Ouroffice » Mon May 08, 2017 7:05 pm

After a week of monitoring, after the VMQ change it all seems to working as intended.
If anything arises i will update the post :)

I hope my finding may help someone in the future.
Ouroffice
User

Return to Technical Support v8