USB Backup challenges; newest BA version to support USB?

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Moderators: casey.burns, RobertoPuglielli, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

USB Backup challenges; newest BA version to support USB?

Postby Mr Davo » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi All,

My employer is running BA v8.4.2r1 across a large number of Servers. Each Server is configured to run two backup jobs; 1). Backup to NAS, 2). Backup to USB drive (for offsite backing up!).

Some of the Servers are experiencing issues with USB drive corruption, and I have noted that v8.4.5r1 provides '... Significantly more reliable implementation of eject for external HDD, optical media, tape, and rdx.'

I was about to install the latest version of BA (v10.x) but during the installation was presented with the following message -

I cannot afford to disable USB backups, as they are fundamental to the businesses operation.

I have a couple of questions -

1). What is the most recent version of the software which does not deprecate USB backups?
2). Where can I download this version of the software from?

Any help here would be great.

Kind Regards,

Davo
Mr Davo
User

Re: USB Backup challenges; newest BA version to support USB?

Postby Stuart » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi Davo,

It's Stuart here, thanks for posting on our forum.

Version 10 supports backing up to USB drives and we have no plans in the future to stop supporting this. Examples of this media are found at https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off ... ard-drives.

The highlighted line in your screen shot is referring specifically to:

- CD, DVD, Bluray as a destination to burn each backup to.
- Flash drives/Thumb drives (USB sticks) being written to as a destination. The following link shows what these look like: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/off ... ash-drives.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion Davo.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8