How to know iSCSI target usage for system protection backup

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Moderators: casey.burns, RobertoPuglielli, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

How to know iSCSI target usage for system protection backup

Postby gregzartman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:19 pm

I am using FreeNAS to export iSCSI targets to Windows Server 2012R2 and backup assist 8. The drive I'm backup up is 2.7 TB in size, but only has 1.5TB of data on it (per windows disk free dialog). Backup assist says it's writing 2.2T to the iSCSI target. Given the iscsi target is a block device, I'm having a hard time know how much of the target is being used. Is there a way in BA to do this or do I need to mount it in windows?

Thanks,

Greg
gregzartman
User

Re: How to know iSCSI target usage for system protection bac

Postby Stuart » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:13 am

Hi Greg,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

Typically BackupAssist will only ever state what's on the backup destination itself based on what's been copied, etc. If the information in the media usage report isn't what you're requiring then the software isn't able to give you the information you're looking for.

Based on what I'm reading, the best method to be 100% sure is to mount the target itself to see. Just remember that if you're running a System Protection backup that it runs off the actual physical size and not the 'used space' amount (which commonly catches people out when it comes to used space, etc).
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8