Lots of .ba files on backup disks

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Moderators: casey.burns, RobertoPuglielli, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

Lots of .ba files on backup disks

Postby GrisCorp » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:02 pm

I have noticed that there are lots of .ba files on my backup disks each corresponding to a date when a backup was performed. However, since we keep only as many backups on a disk as will fit, there are no corresponding backups for those .ba files. They are only 1KB in size, but as more and more of them are added, then left behind, they begin taking up more space.

Is it safe for me to delete these files keeping only the ones that correspond to actual backups on the disk?

And if it is safe to delete them, why does BackupAssist not delete these files when it deletes the old backups?

Here is a screenshot of the entire contents of one of my disks:Image
MIS Administrator
GrisCorp
User

Re: Lots of .ba files on backup disks

Postby michael.jones » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:08 pm

Hello,

Yes it is okay to delete the files.

Can you tell me what version of BackupAssist you are using?
Should you have additional questions, please don't hesitate to contact me - I'd be glad to assist you.

Thank You,
Michael R. Jones
BackupAssist Help Desk
US Support New Albany, IN
Support@backupassist.com
michael.jones
Cortex I.T.

Postby GrisCorp » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:33 am

I am using v8.4.4
MIS Administrator
GrisCorp
User

Postby Stuart » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:09 am

Hi there,

What type of device are you running to? I know that you've said you're running to a backup disk, however the icon the drive is showing up with under Windows Explorer and a BAHDD.ico file is present typically means that it's being detected as an optical device within Windows.

Can you provide a screen shot when you select 'Computer' from the left hand side that shows the overview of all connected drives (and their various catagories)?

It could be that these are not being deleted as the type of device you're running to is showing up differently in Windows and confusing the software which means it doesn't look for the .ba files to delete them (which then answers your question).
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Postby GrisCorp » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi Stuart,

Here is the screenshot you requested:

The drive is an RDX cartridge. We have one cartridge for each day of the week and the BAHDD.ico file is on all of them.
MIS Administrator
GrisCorp
User

Postby Stuart » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:25 am

Hi again,

The screen shot hasn't really revealed a lot for me to be able to say why the files are not being deleted.

Can I get you to raise a case with our support team directly so that this can be investigated properly? The steps to do this are as follows:
1. Open BackupAssist.
2. Click on the Help menu across the top of the console.
3. Select Feedback and Support... from the drop down menu.
4. Click on Contact Support.

5. Enter the details asked for:

Valid E-mail Address: (so we know where to send our answer to your question).
Subject: Brief overview of your query.

Message: A detailed overview of exactly what your query is about. The more information you give here will make it easier for our support team to assist you.

Make sure the tick box stating 'Submit system diagnostics to help our support team with your query' is ticked and this will zip all your BackupAssist settings so that we can review these specifically for your environment.

If you have any issues using our automated support tool please follow these steps to manually send in your diagnostics file:

Browse to the following folder on the applicable path to your system:

C:\Program Files (x86)\BackupAssist vX (where X is the version number you're running)

Look for a file named BackupAssistDiagnostics.zip and send this to us directly.

If you find that this file is too large to email directly; please upload directly to our support team via http://www.backupassist.com/BackupAssis ... submit.php.
Please note that there is a 50MB file size limit. If it's larger then please let us know.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8