ISCSI Backup

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v8.x.x.

Moderators: casey.burns, RobertoPuglielli, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

ISCSI Backup

Postby richtea » Sun May 15, 2016 11:31 am

Hi All,

I am using version 8.3.0026, and have recently moved from External HDD Backups to using an ISCSI deivce.

The LUN is mapped, to be a local drive and backups are run to that drive, I have been getting odd issues with the drive being marked as dirty, then more serious issues which require the lun to be reformatted before the backup will run successfully.

I originally set it up to run directly to the LUN but the issues appeared every 2-3 days.

So, I decided to schedule a chkdsk /f to run 30 mins prior to backup to avoid dirty drives this has been positive, but tonight I have lost use of the drive, I can view all files within it and chkdsk says all is well.

I am at the moment having to backup the backup on a nightly basis to ensure backup contains the incremental backup, so when the drive goes faulty I can reformat and restore the backup.

Am i doing this all wrong or is there something I am missing.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Kind Regards

Rich
richtea
User

Re: ISCSI Backup

Postby Stuart » Mon May 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi Rich,

It's Stuart here from the BackupAssist team, thanks for posting on our forum.

Firstly, I'd recommend updating the software to v8.4.5 so you're running the latest release of v8 on your system.
You can download the update from the Older Versions tab on https://www.backupassist.com/download.php#top.

Can you also confirm that the iSCSI target is only used for backups and not storing anything else?
What's the job configuration you're running (especially the destination configuration within the job)? From reading your post it sounds as if the iSCSI target is permanently connected to the machine?
If so, do you have BackupAssist configured to back up to a local destination and write to the drive letter/path assigned to the initalised iSCSI target?

If the iSCSI target is only used for storing backups, then I'd recommend configuring your backup destination to be specifically for iSCSI and allow BackupAssist to manage the initalisation and dismounting of the iSCSI target specifically.

You can do this by opening the backup job and selecting the Destination tab. Once you're in the Destination tab, click on 'Select New Destination' link and run through the wizard (making sure to select 'iSCSI' as the Destination).
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Postby richtea » Mon May 16, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi Stuart,

I have implemented all your recommendations.

Originally the host was not permamantley connected to the QNAP, but found in neccessary to do so.

Just one quick one, does backup to ISCSI, allow restore of file from previous backups or just the last backup?

We will see how it goes, tonight.

A swift response on the restoring would be appreciated, as I am going away on holiday soon, and would like to get it sorted.

Regards

Richard
richtea
User

Postby richtea » Mon May 16, 2016 9:38 pm

Ok, Just tried a backup which went though,

Thought hey lets try another.

So 20 mins later kicked off another backup which fails "BA207 The destination volume is marked as dirty. It cannot be used for backup before it is checked by chkdsk."

Any Ideas.
richtea
User

Postby Stuart » Tue May 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi Rich,

My guess is it'll be something to do with the destination itself.

Have you got any other hardware hosting iSCSI targets which you could test with? If not,then try running the backup to an alternate destination as the KB article suggests:
https://www.backupassist.com/support/en/knowledgebase/BA207-Destination-volume-is-marked-as-dirty-Cannot-be-used-before-it-is-checked-by-chkdsk.html

If these work continuously and reliably then you have pretty much isolated the issue to the current iSCSI target and it could be that you need to swap the hardware out or perhaps just creating a new iSCSI target will help resolve the issue as well.
Stuart Edwards
BackupAssist Support

*Have you tried restoring from your backups lately?*
Stuart
Cortex I.T.

Return to Technical Support v8