Exmerge problem

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v3.x.x

Moderators: casey.burns, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

Exmerge problem

Postby pdescamps » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:35 pm

Hi
I try your solution with the Exchange addon.
I have an error trying to export in PST file.
It is an Exchange 2000 server on a Windows 2000 server.
The backup assist is on a Windows XP on a virtual machine (virtual server).
The error message is

Granting rights to export mailboxes.
Successfully granted mailbox rights for exporting messages.

Exporting messages for period: All time
Source server read from settings file is 'MAIL'.
Error creating EntryID for 'ÿþ/' (GetMailboxInfoFromAB)
Error accessing directory object for 'ÿþ/'. Ignoring this mailbox.
Error creating EntryID for 'i' (GetMailboxInfoFromAB)
Error accessing directory object for 'i'. Ignoring this mailbox.
pdescamps
User

Postby pdescamps » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:23 pm

Hi
Trying your new version with French.
It does not work.
I reinstall totally backup assist.
I remake the configuration.
I have the same error.

When I try with Exmerge, it works.
At first time, exmerge does not work because of french language.
I make a change in the exmerge.ini as said in the Microsoft KB.
Then it works but Backup assist does not work.
pdescamps
User

Issue should be fixed in v3.5.2

Postby Linus » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:30 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I'm the lead developer of BackupAssist.

Which version are you using?

The reason I ask is that I uploaded a new version 3.5.2 late last week, and this now works with non-English versions of Exchange.

Specifically, I tested it with the German and French versions of SBS.

If you are running 3.5.1, then please upgrade to 3.5.2 and try it out.

Regarding making changes to the Exmerge.ini file - if you wish to make changes, please make them to the BAExTemp.ini file. This is our template file that we use to generate the Exmerge-0.ini file.

If you edit the Exmerge-0.ini file directly, it will be overwritten every time a backup is performed.

I hope this works for you now. If not, please post back and email your diagnostics file to us, and I'll continue to work with you on this.

Kind regards,

Linus Chang
Linus
Cortex I.T.

Postby pdescamps » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:26 am

Thanks for answering,
I'm using the 3.5.2 version.
I copy exmerge.exe and exmerge.ini to the Exchange folder on the same computer as Backup assist (which is not the exchange server). I make the changes for french language as microsoft said. And it works.
I try again with Backup assist and it does not work. Same error as below.
I change the BaexTemp.ini by the exmerge.ini from the exchange folder.
I have another error
Error 53
Error Description : File not found
Error Source : BAExchange

I have the rights on the mailboxes
pdescamps
User

I think it's a Unicode problem...

Postby Linus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Hello again,

I have done a lot more investigation and believe I've found the problem that you are seeing.

It looks like your client machine (Windows XP) will not read Unicode files by default. I believe that on your particular machine the system default character encoding is ANSI. I do not know how this is possible, because all our test machines here can read unicode perfectly - perhaps it is a regional setting or it has been changed somehow.

Can I please ask you to run a test for me. If this test works, I will make a patch in our software.

In the BackupAssist directory, you will see the files called Exmerge-0.ini and Mailboxes-0.txt. (If you have multiple jobs, it might be Exmerge-1.ini or Exmerge-2.ini, etc).

Can you open up the Mailboxes-0.txt file in Notepad, and do a "Save As". When it asks you where to save it, please save over the existing file, but change the "Encoding" to "ANSI". (It should be originally "Unicode").

Now run Exmerge the way BackupAssist would run Exmerge. To do this, please go into the BackupAssist console > Event Viewer and look for an event called "Starting brick-level mailbox backup". You'll see a message like this:

Commencing brick-level backup with command:
C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\bin\Exmerge.exe -b -d -f C:\PROGRA~1\BACKUP~1\Exmerge-0.ini

If you could run this command from the command prompt, this is the same as when BackupAssist runs it.

Then open the Exmerge log file (Exmerge-0.log in the BackupAssist directory) - and scroll to the last log at the bottom.

It will tell you if this succeeds or not. Please copy the results and either post back to this forum, or you can email us.

Please let me know how you go. Many thanks in advance.

Thank you,

Linus
Linus
Cortex I.T.

Postby Linus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Hello - I should also add, please do not delete the BAExTemp.ini file.

BackupAssist will try to read this file when it performs a backup.

If you delete the file, then you will get the "Error 53" problems.

Thank you,

Linus
Linus
Cortex I.T.

Postby Linus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:38 pm

Hello again,

One *final* thing - can you please also upgrade to v3.5.3 of our software, as this includes the latest fixes for Exchange Server jobs.

Thanks!

Linus
Linus
Cortex I.T.

Postby cdewar » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:09 am

I have not received a reply via email, so I will try here.

I have this same error. Following the directions above to change the file to ANSI allowed me to Exmerge from the command line. But when I try to do it from withing BackupAssist I get the same error and it writes the file back to Unicode. I have upgraded to 3.5.3 but it did not solve the issue.

We are desperate to resolve this issue.
cdewar
User

Postby cdewar » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:12 am

Thought I should also post my configuration:

Windows 2003 Server, domain controller, file server, and Exchange 2003 server all on one machine with Backup Assist also local. DLT tape drive.
cdewar
User

Postby cdewar » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:50 am

Thanks. Other than this annoyance, the program is fantastic and a great idea.
cdewar
User

Exmerge / unicode issue

Postby Linus » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:12 pm

Dear Cdewar,

I'm the lead developer of BackupAssist, and Raj and Andrew have asked me to help out with this issue.

Firstly, I wonder if your Exchange Server is unicode enabled? Or is there something in your system default locale (Regional Settings) that says to use ANSI instead of unicode?

You might need to think back to the installation of your server. By default unicode is used.

If not, I will need to do a special build for you to include the option of writing out the mailbox file in ANSI. If you need me to do this for you, please let me know ASAP and I'll get onto it tomorrow.

Regards,

Linus
Linus
Cortex I.T.

Postby cdewar » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:56 pm

I just took on this job so I do not know whether ANSI was chosen or not. I do know it was a upgrade.

How can I enable it. I checked the regional settings for the server and Unicode is in there. Is there a separate setting for Exchange?
cdewar
User

Postby Linus » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:59 pm

Hello Cdewar,

Nevermind - I understand it can be difficult when you're taking over (and inheriting) someone else's system!

I will need to make a code change for you for this to work. I was working on the Exmerge interface today, and after a lot of trying I couldn't actually find where to specify Unicode as the preferred encoding.

The simplest thing would be just to write out the mailboxes.txt file in ANSI, and make that a customisable setting in BackupAssist.

I will endeavour to do this for you on the weekend and have something for you on Monday your time. I'll have to put together a custom build for you so that's why it takes a little time.

Thanks for your patience.

Linus
Linus
Cortex I.T.

Postby cdewar » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:53 pm

You guys are terrific. That's why your product was recommended to me and why I will recommend you to others!
cdewar
User

Postby cdewar » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:26 am

I have a group policy set to force PST's to Unicode in order to allow larger PST file size. I don't know if this has anything to do with your program but I thought I would mention it.
cdewar
User

Next

Return to Technical Support v3