Exchange Backup Not Flushing Logs

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v3.x.x

Moderators: casey.burns, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

Exchange Backup Not Flushing Logs

Postby danrippon » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:38 am

Hi all, hope someone can help out...

SBS2003 running BackupAssist 3.5.3. BA reports indicate both Phase 1 & Phase 2 backup jobs run successfully, performing a full backup to Sony AIT-1 tape drive every night.

I've recently noticed that BA is no longer flushing the Exchange logs when the backup is run - causing a bit of a problem as I'm fast running out of disk space! I've checked and rechecked the config: all good & the mailbox store is detected.

I've just re-applied the 3.5.3 update and am rebooting the server to see if anything in BA had become corrupted. If anyone else has come across this, please let me know!

Thanks
Dan
danrippon
User

Postby danrippon » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:04 pm

Hello Raj,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I had pre-empted your question and begun a full backup already - it's running fine and just verifying the files now. The logs have been flushed. Go figure?!

Since reinstalling the BA package and rebooting the server, BA is no longer working and the services refuse to start. When RDP'd to the box and attempting to start the BA admin console , I receive a message telling me the install is corrupted or the box needs rebooting. When logged onto the box directly, the same action presents an Active X runtime error.

Should I uninstall BA completely and start again? Will continue with ntbackup for now...
danrippon
User

Postby danrippon » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:52 pm

Hello again Raj,
The ntbackup completed successfully. I've since checked the Active X error - it was indeed '429'. I reinstalled the upgrade package again while directly on the box (performed via RDP previously) and all now seems OK. I'll test it with a backup job tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

Thanks for your help!
danrippon
User

Postby danrippon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:14 am

Hey Dhiraj,
Sorry, bad news. Used BA again for the backup last night - no log flush. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dan
danrippon
User

Postby danrippon » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:14 am

Hi Raj,
BA console tells me it's a full backup every night (the backup reports confirm this also)

Sorry!
Dan
danrippon
User

Postby danrippon » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Hello again Raj,
We are backing Exchange via the Exchange tab - as it happens an Exchange / Information Store selection doesn't appear in the Files/Dirs tab - just the drives listing. Could this be a symptom of the issue?

Cheers
Dan
danrippon
User

Postby xxan0xx » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:29 am

Really, all you need to do is stop both the public and private information stores. Then run

Eseutil /mh priv1.edb
Eseutil /mh pub1.edb

If the report for each shows Logs Required 0/0 then you can manually delete the logs.

After that is complete you will need to start the stores back up and then run a FULL backup and your Exchange logs should purge properly.
xxan0xx
User

Return to Technical Support v3