Clear Archive Bit?

This forum is no longer monitored by the BackupAssist support team, but is available to the public to use for assistance with technical issues relating to BackupAssist v3.x.x

Moderators: casey.burns, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

Clear Archive Bit?

Postby sevin57 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:14 pm

How do I get Backup Assist to clear the archive bit?

I'm using version 3.4.6

I'm running Incremental backups Mon-Fri and Full backups on Saturdays. Neither schemes seem to be clearing the archive bit.

Thank you in advance!

Re: Clear Archive Bit?

Postby Michael F » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:50 am

Thank you for posting on our forum. I'm Michael, one of the help desk support staff for BackupAssist.

Unfortunately we no longer support BackupAssist v3 as of the 30th of June 2008, please visit for more information.

I recommend you upgrade to BackupAssist version 5. If the problem associated with your backups appear in Version 5, we will be able to assist you in resolving the issue.
You can download the latest release of BackupAssist Version 4 at the following URL:

After installation, BackupAssist will run in a 30 day trial mode (full functionality) that will allow you time to purchase the upgrade.

To purchase the upgrade, you will need the following information:

Current Server Name:
Organization Name:
License type: (Commercial or Educational)
Current V3 License Key:
All the Version 3 add-on keys associated with this v3 license (SQL, Exchange Mailbox or Advanced open files).

After you have gathered this information, order the license upgrade at the following URL:
Once the order has been placed and paid, you will be e-mailed the version 5 license key(s).
Once you have received your new registration details, follow the instructions below to activate BackupAssist:
1) Start up BackupAssist Version 5
2) On the BackupAssist file menu, choose Help > Licensing
3) Click on the Activate/enter product key button
4) Enter your product key in the relevant field(s)
5) Press the Activate button to begin unlocking your software for normal use
Kind regards,

Michael F
Cortex I.T.

Re: Clear Archive Bit?

Postby sevin57 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:24 pm

Thanks but no thanks. Version 3 is working just fine. All I have to do is clear the archive bit.

I can do it manually by typing: attrib -a /s at the command prompt. I just thought your little program could do it automatically. After all it is a BACKUP program.

Return to Technical Support v3