New Features please Linus ?

Please let us know how well we're fulfilling your needs!

Moderators: casey.burns, RobertoPuglielli, Stuart, michael.jones, gsohal, Mike D

New Features please Linus ?

Postby davenicholls » Sun May 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi Team,
Firstly - thankyou, the 6.4.1 release is very solid and has made life easy again.

I have been getting ready for a new server and I went out and bought some new backup hardware:
Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 as a target for BackupAssist backups
After purchase (Doh!) I checked the spec's and found this is a 4K native drive and completely invisible to Server 2008R2 but works great in Windows 8 Server (or Server 2012).

Enclosures:For the always on drive I went for this: Vantec NST-330SU3-BK NexStar HX SuperSpeed (has a fan)
- Easy to install the drive though I have not powered it up yet but nothing suggests it will be anything other than great.

For the ones changed daily I went with: Vantec NexStar 3 USB3 & eSATA 3.5" Enclosure
- This drive enclosure has been tested with the Seagate drive and works really well.
- I am very happy with it and it's great quality, solid and easy to install.

Please allow us to choose NTFS or GPT when preparing the drives for backup. Clearly as time rolls on we will be seeing and using more and more USB drives larger than 2TB...
WhenI added the drive above to Win8 Server it brought it online as GPT but when I prepared the drive with BackupAssist it changed it to NTFS...

I am also looking at Windows8 server and Hyper-V:
I was very pleasantly surprised to see that it works and that the backups made with BackupAssist are recoverable (yes tested Virtual Machine recovery and file and folder recovery), so well done guys.

Although I have not used any of the new Hyper-V features such as the VHDX virtual drive formats I still was not able to:
- mount a VHD from backup with the Granular Restore tool
- use the BA Recovery console as the catalogues are failing in the backup
I would expect BOTH of these to be pretty trivial to fix from a developer effort standpoint.

All in all a pretty good job but please update the community about your progress with development for Windows8 Server and allow us to choose GPT format in our drive preparations....

Cheers
David Nicholls
davenicholls
User

New Features please Linus

Postby Bentjudges » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:54 am

How in the world do I get a different avatar pic. Its been kicking the crap outta me for about an hour Please details.
My website https://masterseo.ca/
Bentjudges
User

Return to Feedback and Feature Requests